Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Across the ocean, Across the sea

I made it!! After almost a year of 'what if's' and paperwork, I made it to Belfast. I'm so grateful to everyone that helped me get here, especially my family and Professor Bailey. So now... The trip. 

My first impression of the city was just wow. I got here about 2 weeks ago. I spent the first 10 days assimilating into the culture, adjusting to the time change, and getting used to the wrong side of the road! Oh, and spending time with my family. Between being carted around by my various family members, and the huge party thrown as a welcome, I felt like I knew more about this country than any books could teach me. The time spent with my family was a great start to my trip. I continue to get closer to my cousins and see a side of Belfast that I didn't as a tourist. 

They took me to QUB, where I got I wander around the campus I will be spending the next 5 months on. It is beautiful And about 10 times larger than TLU. It'll be a completely different experience thy I cannot wait to begin. 

Then, my actual program started. I moved into the Jury's Inn hotel for part one of orientation. Our advisors, Ger and Eibhlín, taught us all about the cultural differences of the Irish Island and the US, as well as the academic differences. It was a lot I information I cover in 2 days. However, the time spent not in the orientation workshops was spent exploring the city. We are at various Belfast restaurants, and went to the Titanic museum to learn all about the history of ship building in Belfast, and the Titanic itself. 

After a few days of intense Belfast learning, I moved again. This time, the 10 of us in the IFSA-Butler program moved into our rooms for the entire semester. Now, all there is to do, is start orientation at Queens University tomorrow, and start classes on Friday. 

Thing I am missing from Texas;
My friends and family
The sun
Temperatures over 45 degrees (though that not the case there now)
And
Folders, which don't exist here. The school supies Is way different. 

Other exciting parts of Belfast:
Getting to experience a different culture.
Fun winter clothes
Primark
And
Fish and Chips!

More to come!
 Alexandria!

No comments:

Post a Comment